Banoffee pie is hands down one of my favourite desserts. These individual pies and great for entertaining and this recipe is a little less rich than some of my other recipes making this a perfect finish to a dinner party.
Mini Banoffee Pies
Makes 12 individual pies.
- 500g Shortcrust Pastry
- 400g Caster Sugar
- 500ml Coconut Cream
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 Tbsp Cornflour
- 300ml Soy or Almond Milk
- 4 Bananas
- 300ml Vegan Whipping Cream (or use vegan squirty cream if you like)
- Vegan Margarine – for greasing tartlet tins
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Roll your shortcrust pastry to approx 4mm. Prepare tartlet tins by greasing with a little margarine, cut a sheet of pastry just larger than your tartlet tin, place over the top and gentry press down to make the crust.
- Use baking beads to retain the shape of the pastry crusts whilst they bake. Place the tins on a baking tray and bake for approximately 15 minutes but remember, all ovens are different so make sure to keep an eye on them. Once baked, set aside to cool.
- Whilst the pie crusts are baking we can make the caramel filling. Take a saucepan and heat the caster sugar on high. Stir the sugar until it has completely melted.
- In a separate container whisk 200ml coconut cream with the cornflour. Add this mix to the melted sugar, the mixture will bubble a lot so take great care at this stage.
- Pour in the remaining coconut cream and reduce the heat a little. Heat for 10 minutes until the filling starts to thicken, at this stage pour in soya or almond milk to thin out just a little. Heat for a further 5 minutes and add a pinch of salt to finish.
- Spoon the caramel filling into each pie crust, refrigerate the pies and leave to set for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Once the filling has set we can prepare the whipped cream, I would recommend doing this just before serving. Pour the whipping cream into a mixing bowl and whisk on high for a few minutes until stiff peaks are formed. If you like you can skip this and use squirty cream but I find whipping cream has a better texture for this dessert.
- Slice the bananas and top each tart with 5 or 6 slices, spoon a little cream on top and finish with sprinkle of cocoa.