Classic vanilla cake, the perfect cake for any occasion. A tasty yet firm sponge, good for stacking tiers, paired with a simple vanilla frosting. I made this one for a friend on her Birthday hence the pink floral decorations, you can decorate yours however you like!
Vanilla Celebration Cake
Makes 3 x 8″ layers
- 3 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour*
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 400ml Plant Based Milk
- 100g Melted Vegan Margarine – plus extra for greasing
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
*To make this cake gluten free, sub with Doves Farm gluten-free self-raising flour.
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Plant-based Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
(Double the frosting recipe if you want to cover the entire cake!)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- To a mixing bowl, add plant-based milk, bicarbonate of soda and apple cider vinegar. Whisk the mixture until frothy.
- To the bowl add caster sugar, vanilla and melted margarine and mix again.
- Sift the flour over the wet ingredients and mix once again.
- Prepare an 8″ cake tin by greasing with margarine. Pour 1/3 batter into the tin. Place the cake in the centre of your oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Repeat 3 times.
- Once the 3 layers are baked, transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Whilst the sponges are cooling we can make the frosting which couldn’t be simpler. Add all of the frosting ingredients to a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until combined.
- Once the sponges have cooled we can assemble our cake by spreading a generous amount of frosting on top of the bottom layer and repeating twice more until we have a lovely 3 layer cake. I have poured melted vegan white chocolate over my cake and coloured it with pink food colouring but you can decorate yours however you wish.