Delicious crispy tofu, perfectly baked and then finished on the grill. I’m using chunks of extra-firm tofu, marinated in BBQ sauce overnight for a delicious smokey flavour. Tofu is flavourless so it really benefits from the marinade.
BBQ Tofu Skewers
Makes 6 Skewers
Nutrition – A really tasty source of protein.
Per Skewer – Calories: 177 Carbs: 22g Protein: 13g Fat: 4.5g
- 600g Extra Firm Tofu
- 12 Tbsp BBQ Sauce – approx 150g
- 80g Cornflour
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Green Peppers
- 6 x Skewers
- Drain your tofu and press to make extra firm if need be. Slice the tofu into chunks and smother with 8 tbsp of bbq sauce. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees c. Pour 80g of cornflour into a small bowl, take the marinated tofu and piece by piece, coat the tofu in cornflour. As the cornflour mixes with the bbq sauce it will form a batter.
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper to prevent the batter from sticking. Place each piece of tofu onto the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until crispy.
- Chop the red onion and peppers into bit size pieces. Skewer a piece of tofu followed by a slice of onion and a slice of pepper and repeat until all 6 skewers are prepped.
- Glaze the skewers with the remaining 4 tbsp of bbq sauce. Place the skewers either on a grill or bbq and cook for aproximately 10 minutes until the vegetables and tofu and nicely charred.