It’s BBQ season and just because you choose not to eat meat, it doesn’t mean you have to miss out! These bean burgers are so tasty and satisfying. I recommend serving these bad boys up in a soft bun with crisp lettuce and vegan mayo. Delish!
Chipotle Bean Burgers
Makes 4 Burgers
Nutrition – High in protein!
Calories: 246 Protein: 18g Carbs: 41g Fat: 1.2g
- 300g Sweet Potato
- 2 Tins of Organic Black Beans
- 1 Medium Beetroot (finely diced)
- 50g Vital Wheat Gluten (or sub breadcrumbs)
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle Paste
- 50g Red Onion (diced)
- 1 Tsp Cumin
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Chop the sweet potato in to medium sized chunks (I like to leave the skins on but you could peel them if you wish) and boil until soft.
2. Drain the potatoes, mash well and stir in the cumin and chipotle paste.
3. Drain the beans but do not rinse, the bean liquid will help to incorporate the mix. Stir the beans, onion and beetroot into the seasoned mash potato.
4. Add the wheat gluten to the sweet potato and bean mixture and stir well. Leave to set for 10 minutes.
5. Split the mixture into four and shape into burger patties. Place the patties on a baking tray and bake for 40 minutes, flip half way through the cooking time. I would recommend lining your baking tray with parchment paper to prevent the burgers from sticking.
6. Before serving your burgers cut your buns in half, place the patties inside with some crisp lettuce and smother with vegan mayo!