A light and airy Italian bread with a deliciously crisp edge. This dough needs to prove for 8-12 hours but the pay off is so worth it, prep your dough the night before and cook the next morning. This is a very wet dough so you will need a stand mixer for this one.
Makes 2 loafs or 10 rolls.
Each roll or 1/5 of a loaf contains:
Calories: 177 Carbs: 35g Protein: 6.5g Fat: 0.8g
- 500 g Strong White Bread Flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 Tbsp Dried Active Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Sea Salt
- 375ml Cold Water
- Take a stand mixer with dough hooks and add the flour to the mixing bowl, in a separate bowl whisk the yeast in tepid water and leave for 5 minutes, add the mixture to the flour and whizz. Once combined add the salt and combine again.
- Let the stand mixer knead the dough for 10-15 minutes until you can see the gluten starting to form nicely and your dough is smooth yet sticky.
- It is now time to prove our dough. It is important not to prove our dough in a warm environment, although this will speed up the rising process it will compromise the flavour. Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and cover with a tea towel and leave for at least 8 hours, the longer you leave it the better the flavour. Ideally you’d leave it over night.
- After proving we can work with the dough. We want to keep as much air in our dough as we can, take a spoon or scraper and gently scape the dough onto a well floured surface. Sprinkle extra flour over the dough.
- It’s time to shape our dough, sprinkle extra flour where you would like to cut. Take a dough cutter and cut the dough into two even pieces, with the cutter or with a dough scraper carefully shape the dough into rectangular pieces. If you would like to make rolls, cut each loaf into 5 smaller square pieces.
- Prove the shaped dough for another hour by placing it onto a lined baking sheet and cover with a tea towel again. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 230 degrees c.
- After this hour the dough should have increased in size again. The loaf is ready to bake, place into a preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- When golden and crisp to the touch remove from the oven and leave to cool before slicing.