I’ve been making sushi for a long time, to the point where I think my rolling mat is falling apart. Its so simple to make but you have to get the rice just right. Use any fillings you like, I can give you a few suggestions but feel free to use your imagination.
- Sriracha Tofu, baby sweetcorn, cavolo nero & cucumber
- Rainbow – Beetroot, cucumber, baby sweetcorn, peppers, courgette, carrot & mango
- Sriracha Tofu, beetroot, cucumber & mango
- Sriracha Tofu, red pepper, mango & carrot
How To Make Vegan Sushi
This brief recipe serves 6.
Calories: 420 Carbs: 76g Fat: 4g Protein 17g
*This is based on the fillings I used.
You will need:
- A sushi rolling mat
- A very sharp knife (careful!)
- 6 Sheets of Nori
- 500g Sushi Rice
- 750ml Water
- 2 Tbsp Sushi Seasoning (rice wine vinegar)
- Fillings of your choice
- Rinse sushi rice in water and drain.
- Take a large pan and pour in 750ml of water, add rice and bring to the boil.
- Once the water reaches boiling point, reduce the temperature to a simmer and cover with a pan lid. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- When the rice is almost done it will look a little sloppy but that’s perfect. Take the pan off the heat and leave with the lid on for a further 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the rice should have absorbed any excess liquid giving a sticky texture.
- Transfer the rice to a tray or plate with a larger surface area, drizzle over your sushi seasoning and leave to cool.
- Once the rice is cool you can assemble your sushi. Take a sushi rolling mat and place a sheet of nori over the top. Spoon the sushi rice onto the nori and firmly pat down, don’t push the rice to the edge, leave a gap because that will make it easy to roll and will leave a little nori left to seal your sushi roll.
- When your rice is in place, place you fillings horizontally in one line about 1/3 down the sheet. Now you can roll, use your fingertips and thumb to roll the mat, squeezing the sushi into a roll as you go. To seal the roll use a little water and tap the edge of the nori with your fingertips.
- To cut the sushi take a sharp knife and run under water, this will help cut through the nori easily. Cut the sushi into 6/7 pieces and serve up with soy sauce or tamari.