The perfect vegan and gluten free (if you wish) chocolate celebration cake. This recipe is my go-to for chocolate sponge, it comes out perfect every single time.
This time I’ve gone for double chocolate, a dark chocolate sponge cake with a white chocolate and vanilla frosting, drizzled with additional white and dark chocolate and topped with fresh strawberries.
Double Chocolate Cake
Makes – 1 x 10″ Inch cake with 3 layers
or 1 x 6″ cake with 3 layers and 12 muffins (pictured)
- 1 Cup Soya or Almond Milk
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Tbsp Chia Seeds (mix with 6 tbsp water and refrigerate to make chia eggs)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste (or extract)
- 1 Cup Apple Sauce
- 1 Cup Soft Brown Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Melted Dark Chocolate
- 1 Cup Melted Vegan Butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3 Cup Self-Raising Flour (sub gluten free – Doves Farm GF Self-Raising works well)
White Chocolate Frosting
- 1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 Cups Melted Vegan White Chocolate
- 4 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Bean pasta (or extract)
- 2/3 Cup Melted Dark Chocolate
- 1/3 Cup Melted Vegan White Chocolate
- Approx. 20 Strawberries
- Drizzle of icing for the strawberries (icing sugar and water – optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Firstly, refrigerate your chia eggs, meanwhile prepare your vegan buttermilk by whisking soya or almond milk with apple cider vinegar and leave to curdle for around 15 minutes.
- Take a large mixing bowl and whisk the vegan buttermilk with baking powder and soda until frothy. Next add in vanilla, apple sauce, brown sugar and chia eggs.
- Once thoroughly mixed, add melted chocolate and melted butter and mix again.
- Now we can add our dry ingredients, we are going to sieve the flour and the cocoa powder over the dry mixture and whisk once again.
- Our mixture is now ready so we are going to prepare our cake tin(s) by greasing them generously with vegan butter. Pour 1/3 of the mix into each tin or 1/6 if your making a smaller cake. Make sure to spread the mixture evenly before placing in the oven to bake. 10″ cakes will take 40-45 minutes, 6″ cakes will take 30-35 Minutes. Muffins will take 25-30 minutes.
- Whilst the cake is baking we can make the frosting by simple placing all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisking until thick and creamy. Place this aside in a refrigerator whilst we wait for the cake to bake and cool.
- Once our sponges are all baked and cooled completely, we can ice each layer with frosting and build our layers. Cover the top layer with frosting and leave to set for 1 hour.
- Melt your dark chocolate and pour a generous amount on top of the cake making sure the surface in covered, make sure to leave some chocolate for your strawberries. Using a tea spoon, drizzle extra chocolate down the side of the cake. Leave to set for 30 minutes.
- Half your strawberries and again melt your dark chocolate, dip all of the strawberries in dark chocolate and place on top of the cake in whichever way you would like to display them. Leave this to set for a further 30 minutes.
- Finally melt the white chocolate and drizzle in between the strawberries again using a teaspoon to drizzle the chocolate down the edge of the cake. If you’d like you can also finish by drizzling some white icing across the strawberries for decoration.