Zesty, sweet, crumbly and cakey, I have always loved cherry bakewell and since discovering my lemon curd recipe – which is to die for, lemon bakewell could only ever be a good idea! I urge you to give these a try, they are so simple to make.
Lemon Bakewell Slices
Makes 12 generous slices or cut into 24 smaller squares.
Calories: 450 Carbs: 42g Protein: 8.5g Fat: 27.5g
- 500g Shortcrust Pastry
- 200g Ground Almonds
- 2 Chia Eggs (2 tbsp Chia seeds + 4 tbsp water)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter – Plus extra for greasing.
- 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 50g Almond Slices
- 2 Tbsp Corn Flour (Corn starch)
- Juice of 3 Lemons
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Soya or Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- Preheat your oven to 200c. Make sure your pastry is left at room temperature for at least an hour before using. Before preparing the lemon curd, mix chia and water and leave to refrigerate for 15 minutes to make the chia eggs.
- First we are going to make the lemon curd as this is best left the cool and thicken slightly before using. To do this heat lemon juice, zest and sugar in a pan. When it starts to boil add milk and vanilla and continue to stir.
- Next we are going to sift over the corn flour, whisk continuously to reduce the risk of the corn flour clumping.Once the curd begins to thicken add the turmeric, once combined set aside to cool.
- Prepare your pastry by rolling it out to a cm larger the size of your tin or tray. Grease your tray with vegan butter and place the pastry into the tray pressing down and creating a crust around the edge to contain our lemon curd later on.
- Next we are going to make the frangipane. In a mixing bowl beat the sugar, vanilla and vegan butter until creamy, spoon in the chia eggs and beat again.
- To the bowl, add flour and ground almond and mix once again.
- Take your pastry lined tray and spread an even layer of lemon curd over the surface of the pastry and follow with the frangipane mix, smooth it over to give a flat surface.
- Sprinkle the frangipane with a layer of chopped almond and it’s ready to go into the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, remove from the oven and leave to cool before slicing, be extra careful with the curd, it can get very hot!