Pancake day is approaching, have your whisks at the ready! I’ve made a lot of vegan pancakes in the past, the thick fluffy kind but I decided to switch it up and make a crepe style pancake, a little thinner with a larger surface.
Lets make things interesting, I wanted to make something a little more fun. By all means use this recipe to make traditional style pancakes or you can take it to the next level and present them as a crepe cake. Cut a slice to reveal beautiful layers of lemon curd sandwiched between stacks of crepes.
Lemon & Chia Crepe Cake
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1 1/2 Cups Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Oat Flour (oats blended into a four/can sub gluten free oats)
- 3 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 3 Cups Soya or Almond Milk
- Oil for frying (approx 1/2 tsp per pancake)
- 2 Tbsp Corn Flour (Corn starch)
- Juice of 3 Lemons
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Soya or Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tin Coconut Fat (refrigerate the tin and scoop the fat from the top, exclude water)
- 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Fat
- 1 Tsp Vanila Extract
- Take a large mixing bowl and add gluten free and oat flour as well as chia seeds.
- In a blender add ripe bananas and plant-based milk and whizz until smooth.
- Pour the banana milk over the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Take a frying pan and add a little oil, pour the batter into the pan and spread the mixture thinly across the surface. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used.
- Whilst cooking the pancakes, we can start with the lemon curd. Take a saucepan and heat lemon juice, zest, sugar, vanilla and turmeric. When the liquid starts to boil add corn flour and heat until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Leave the lemon curd to cool whilst we make the coconut cream, add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk, and that’s it, it’s super simple.
- If you’d like to eat the pancakes as they are then dig in but if you’d like to take it further let the pancakes cool and we can assemble the crepe cake.
- Layer each crepe spreading the lemon curd onto the surface of each. Smear a little coconut-lemon cream onto every other crepe as well as lemon curd and continue until you have achieved a cake-shaped stack.
- Finally, cover the top of the crepe cake with coconut-lemon cream and serve.