Smokey and satisfying, I had a dish similar to this in a restaurant last year and I had to recreate it, with my own spin of course. Turmeric is becoming increasingly popular in recipes so I decided to use it to give the dish an extra pop of colour, not forgetting to mention that it’s really good you!
* If you’re feeling extra indulgent add some extra coconut cream to this dish (but lets save that for cheat meals).
Chickpeas in a Smokey Tomato Sauce
Calories: 300 Carbs: 27.5 Protein: 11.5g Fat: 14g
- 460g Chickpeas
- 2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 250ml Coconut Milk
- 50g Spinach
- 3 Cloves of Smoked Garlic (or sub regular)
- 1 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 20g Fresh Coriander
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- In a large pan heat 1/2 a tsp of olive oil.
- To the pan add garlic and fry for a minute, to the garlic add smoked paprika and turmeric along with a splash of tomato juice from the tinned tomatoes.
- Next add 2 tins of tomatoes and 1 tsp of liquid smoke. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk and cooked chickpeas into the tomato sauce and stir, let the sauce cook for 20 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Just before serving add raw spinach and let it wilt just slightly, sprinkle over chopped coriander to finish.