Lasagne with a twist. Switch up your usual mince for Italian style sausages, they pair amazingly with sweet red peppers. We’re also making a creamy garlic sauce instead of a béchamel style sauce, it packs so much more flavour and I think you’re going to love it.
Tip- the garlic sauce is also amazing on it’s own, stirred through tagliatelle.
Vegan Sausage & Red Pepper Lasagne
Calories: 450 Carbs: 50g Protein: 19g Fat: 17g
- 250g Lasagne Sheets (I’m using gluten free sheets made from brown rice, maize and quinoa flour)
- 100g Vegan Cheese (optional)
Sausage & Red Pepper Ragù:
- 2 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Sweet Red Peppers (sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Italian Herbs
- 150g Chestnut Mushrooms (chopped)
- 4 Vegan Sausages (use Italian style sausages if possible – I’m using Tofurky Italian Style)
- 2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Pesto (You can find the recipe for my avocado pesto here)
Creamy Garlic Sauce:
- 200ml Oatly Creamy Oat Fraiche
- 2 Tbsp Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Italian Herbs
- Pinch of Chilli Flakes
- Splash of plant based milk
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 50g of Cavolo Nero (stalks removed)
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil into a large pan – add 2 cloves garlic with 2 chopped red peppers and 1 tbsp Italian herbs, fry until the peppers begin to soften.
- Add 4 vegan sausages – sliced and 150g diced mushrooms fry for a further few minutes.
- Add 2 tins chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tbsp vegan Pesto to the pot and give it a stir. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile make the garlic cream sauce, add 2 cloves chopped garlic and 1 tub of oatly fraiche to a pan and stir. When the fraiche starts to melt add a sprinkle of chilli flakes, nutritional yeast and 1 tbsp Italian herbs.
- Chop 50g of cavolo Nero (stalks removed) and add to the pan. Once the cavolo has wilted remove from the heat, the sauce may thicken as it cools, add a splash of plant based milk to loosen it back up.
- Layer the lasagne starting with the sausage ragù followed by lasagne sheets followed by garlic cream sauce and repeat until you have 3 layers. Top the final garlic cream sauce layer with dairy-free cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes until the cheese has melted and the top pasta layer is golden and crisp on the edges.