I’ve been perfecting this recipe for a while but this is it! The ultimate dairy-free vegan salted caramel. Heat this up for a sumptuous creamy caramel sauce for dipping apples or drizzling on a sundae or chill for a thick toffee style caramel perfect for millionaires shortbread or banoffee pie, it’s perfectly versatile.
Dairy-Free Salted Caramel
Makes Approx 200ml
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 250ml Coconut Cream
- 50g Vegan Butter (pure or flora freedom work well)
- Pink Himalayan Salt (or sea salt)
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar on a high stirring occasionally.
- Once all of the sugar has melted reduce to a medium heat and add the butter, it will sizzle and bubble so continue to stir until incorporated.
- Add the coconut cream and stir again. The mixture will continue to bubble.
- At this stage the caramel may look more like syrup than a sauce but this is perfect, turn the heat up to high and stir occasionally. Keep this going for 10-15 minutes until the caramel has thickened into a pourable sauce. At this stage salt to taste.
- Transfer to a heat proof container (mason jars are recommended) the caramel will thicken considerably as it cools, refrigerate to thicken further or heat up for a pourable sauce.