An American classic but also a great recipe to spice up your bonfire night. This is definitely what I’m going to want to tuck in to in front of the bonfire on Saturday Night. I’m also giving you two recipes in one here so what’s not to love? You can make extra and have chilli con ‘carne’ and rice as leftovers. You’re welcome!
Vegan Chili Dog
- 4 Vegan Sausages (I’m using Tofurky Kielbasa)
- 4 Hot dog buns or baguettes
- 300g Soya Mince
- 1 Can chopped tomatoes
- 1 Can kidney beans
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 Green chilli
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Tsp Onion powder
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chipotle paste
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha (hot sauce)
- 1 Spring onion
- Take a saucepan and heat a little bit of water or oil depending on your preference. Add chopped garlic, cumin and onion powder and let sweat.
- To the pan, add chipotle paste, maple syrup, chilli, sriracha and splash of water.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the paste and stir it all together, leave to simmer for 5 minutes before adding kidney beans and mince, stir again and leave to cook for 15 minutes. During the cooking time I slowly added 100ml of water to stop the chilli from sticking to the pan and to keep it saucy.
- Meanwhile cook your sausages according to the instructions. For the Tofurky sausage I heat them in a frying pan.
- When the chili has cooked through it’s time to assemble the dogs! Take your buns and slice down the middle being careful not to cut all the way through. Place the sausage into the bun and pile with chili. Top your chili dogs with spring onions and more sriracha… spicy!