Have your cake without the guilt! Pop the kettle on and cozy up with this perfect afternoon treat. Pair with a cup of chai or a creamy latte to compliment the subtle spices throughout the cake.
Spiced Apple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Spiced Apple Cake
- 3 Chia Eggs (3 Tbsp Chia seeds with 6 Tbsp Water)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 2 Cups Almond Milk
- 4 Apples, grated.
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 cups Gluten Free Flour
- 1 cup Oats (gluten free or regular)
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp All Spice
- 1/2 cup Vegan Cream Cheese (I’d recommend Tofutti)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter (I used Flora Dairy Free)
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 cups Icing Sugar
- 1 cup Crushed Walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c.
- Prepare the chia eggs by mixing the seeds and water in a small bowl, refridgerate the speed up the process.
- Grate the apples and drain a little of their juice using a clean tea towel or sieve. Set aside for later.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, vanilla, melted coconut oil, almond milk, spices and chia eggs. When combined, stir in the grated apple.
- Next, sieve the flour over the mixture, mix a little but not too much. Sprinkle over the oats and mix again.
- Prepare 2x 8″ Inch cake tins by either lining with parchment paper of greasing with a little coconut oil.
- Pour the cake batter into the tins, evenly distributing the mix between the two.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl beat together butter, maple syrup, lemon juice and cream cheese (use an electric whisk if possible).
- Sieve icing sugar over the cream cheese mix and whisk again until smooth. Regfridgerater until needed.
- Once baked, set the cakes aside and allow to cool before icing.
- Ice the cake once completely cooled and sprinkle the top with crushed walnuts.